The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, February 12, 2010

Moo-Shu Noodles


I'm gonna be honest with you, cause that's how I roll (yes I did just say that). This was not my favorite. It would have been awesome with a few tweaks, so...I will try again and update with my improvements eventually.

I got the original recipe from one of my favorite cooking blogs, here:
http://mykitchencafe.blogspot.com/2009/08/moo-shu-noodles.html

You might want to follow her recipe more closely than mine until I work out the kinks. She uses some weird stuff like cabbage and mushrooms (two of my least favorite "veggies" in the whole world), so I was trying to adapt it to my persnickety taste. Like how I did that, throwing in the word "persnickety" in a blog post? :) Sorry, I digress. I blame the stomach flu I had earlier this week...

I ended up just using the pork, substituting carrots and peas as the veggies, the eggs, noodles,and the sauce. The sauce was overpowering. I think I added too much sauce for the amount of noodles I had, and there just wasn't enough substance. Not enough...something. Probably veggies. Haha. I think next time, I will try adding some broccoli, carrots, maybe some zucchini, etc, to try to break up the noodles and sauce more. I'm pretty sure that if there would have been more to mine, it would have been great. So anyway...the original recipe is above, and mine is below. Good luck!

Ingredients:
12-ounces fettuccine, linguini, or spaghetti
3 tablespoons vegetable or canola oil, divided
3 eggs, beaten
3 medium-sized boneless pork chops, thinly sliced (it is easier to slice thinly if pork chops are slightly frozen)
Ground black pepper
1 tablespoon ground ginger
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1/2 cup peas and carrots, cooked
1/4 cup hoisin sauce
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1/2 cup chicken broth

Directions:
Boil the pasta, drain, and set aside. While pasta is cooking, scramble the eggs in a skillet with some oil or butter over medium heat. When they are cooked through, scoop them into a bowl and set aside. In the same skillet, heat some vegetable or canola oil (I like veg oil) over medium high heat. Cook the pork chop slices in the oil, basically stir frying them, for a few minutes until they are brown but not overcooked. Overcooked pork is tough and yucky. You don't want that. :) Put the cooked pork in the same bowl as the eggs and set aside. In a separate bowl mix the hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Set aside. Add another little bit of oil to the skillet. Stir fry your veggies until tender, then add the garlic and ginger. Stir to combine. Add the hoisin and soy sauce mixture, heating through. Add the eggs and pork to the party, and stir it all up. Lastly, add the noodles, and stir 'em around until everything is hot and the noodles are coated with sauce. Serve right away.

Like I said...the sauce was overpowering, but I didn't use the entire 12 oz or whatever of pasta, so that was my fault. And like I also said, a few more veggies or something would have made this better and less...noodle-y. Haha. Anyway, hope you can learn from my mistakes and yours turns out wonderfully. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment