The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Spinach, Bacon,and Cheese Appetizer


Around the holidays, I'm usually asked to bring an appetizer to at least one get together. I get tired of making the same stuff, so this year, I decided to experiment and make something new. I also get tired of eating only sweets at parties. It seems like that tends to be what people bring. Which is fine...but I like a little savory with my sweet sometimes. Hence this little appetizer experiment. I think it turned out well, and there was not much left on my plate when I brought it home, so others must have liked it a little bit too. Yesssssssss.

So...this is super simple, and I will make small changes next time to make these a little prettier, but they worked for this time. Here we go!

Ingredients:
-2 sheets of frozen puff pastry
-1 package (1 lb) of bacon, cooked and crumbled (you might not need all of it, but close)
-1 cup of frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
-1 cup shredded cheddar cheese

Directions:
Lay out the puff pastry and let it thaw according to package directions. I used that time to cook and crumble my bacon, then to thaw and drain my spinach. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. When everything is ready to go, cut the puff pastry sheets in half. On each piece of pastry, spread a thin layer of the spinach on one half of the sheet, leaving a clean edge so you can seal it later. Next, add a layer of bacon.
Finally, add the cheese. Moisten the edge of the puff pastry (this will help it stick). Carefully fold the pastry in half over the filling and seal it with a fork, like you would a pie or pastry. Using a sharp knife, cut thick slices (about 1.5 to 2 inches) from the now filled pastry sheets. I tried to kind of pinch the edges of each slice closed as I cut them. This is where I have room for improvement next time. I will probably cut the pastry before filling it next time to make neater little pastries. But it was ok. As you cut the slices, place them on a baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between the pastries. When the sheet is full, bake them in the preheated oven until the pastry is golden brown and crispy, approximately 10-15 minutes. These are amazing served warm, but they're pretty good at room temperature, too, so have at them either way. When I make these again at some point in the future, I will update or create a new post to let you know what I did differently. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment