The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Sloppy Joes


I was looking for an easy, simple, but tasty meal I could make quickly on nights when I am working during the day. My husband was incredibly too excited when he found out I was making sloppy joes. Haha. He's such a kid at heart.

This really is simple, though. I made mine from scratch, and personally, I think it tastes way better than a pre-packaged can-o-meat product. Very few ingredients, yummy results. Away we go.

Ingredients:
-Ground beef (I would say at least 1/4 lb per sandwich-I used a lb)
-Ketchup-I eye-balled it, but it was probably around 1 cup for a lb of meat
-1.5 tablespoons chili powder
-2 teaspoons cumin
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1/2 tablespoon onion powder
-Hamburger buns

Directions:
Brown the ground beef in a skillet or pot over medium high heat. I used the same pot I made the sloppy joes in; fewer dishes to wash. :) When the meat is cooked through and no longer pink, drain it. Return the drained meat to the pot, and reduce heat to medium. This is going to be kinda like a thick chili. You don't want a ton of liquid, but you don't want it to be too dry. You want it wet enough to stick together well, but dry enough that it will stay on the bun without completely slopping out. Start adding the ketchup sparingly, and add more if it's needed till the consistency is right. Add the ketchup and seasonings, stirring to combine well. When the mixture is well combined, reduce the heat to medium low, and let the meaty goodness cook a little longer, about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the flavors have had time to permeate the meat really well. Yummmmmm. When the sloppy joes filling is done cooking, scoop a generous helping onto the hamburger buns. Like I said, about 1/4 lb per sandwich, so 1/4 of the cooked meatiness. If you'd like, you can add a piece of American cheese to the sandwich (as my husband preferred), or leave it plain (as I preferred). Either way, delicious. And really, not that unhealthy. Yum. I really want one right this second.
Yes please. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment