The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, August 22, 2010

The "Original" Baked Penne Pasta


I have posted a similar recipe before (see Baked Penne). But here's a secret...that was not the original recipe I created. Nope. Our first year of marriage, as I have mentioned before, was a huge cooking experiment. This was one of the recipes I came up with that my husband actually REMEMBERS and REQUESTS from time to time. So what does that mean? I make it. Somewhat frequently. Haha. But I am sharing the original recipe. The amazing thing is that my husband can actually tell the difference between the original recipe and the other one. That is a miracle, folks, because my husband can't tell the difference between anything when it comes to food. He said that when he eats a Peanut Butter Cup, he doesn't taste peanut butter and chocolate...he tastes a "new taste" that is just "peanut butter cup." I'm not making that up. Haha. So...it's pretty impressive that he can tell a difference. So I'm posting the original recipe because he actually requested that I make it "like I used to." So I did. And he was happy. Now you can share the joy. :)

Ingredients:
-Penne pasta (I use a whole box, 16 oz or whatever)
-Tomato pasta sauce (I use a whole jar/large can)
-1 8oz block cream cheese
-3/4 cup shredded parmesan cheese
-1/2 cup shredded mozzrella cheese for sauce, and another cup or so to sprinkle on top before baking
-1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)

Directions:
Boil a large pot of water. Cook the penne until just al dente, even slightly under done, since it will cook slightly more while baking. Drain it and set it aside.

While the pasta is cooking, melt the cream cheese in a sauce pan over medium low heat. Chopping it into chunks helps it melt a little faster. When it's melted, add the milk and stir it all to incorporate it well, so it's all one sauce, not two separate ingredients. When that's all mixed together, add the cheeses and let them melt into the sauce, stirring frequently. The mixture will be a pretty thick "sauce" that will not be very liquid-y at all. Something like this:
That's a-ok.

When the cheese sauce is all done, pour a little bit of the tomato sauce in the bottom of a 2 quart baking dish, to keep the pasta from sticking to the bottom. Add about half of the pasta. Then add about half of the cheese cause, and spread it as evenly as possible (use a light hand, because the pasta will want to stick to whatever utensil you're using to spread it. Just do the best you can, it doesn't have to be perfect). Next add about half of the remaining tomato sauce, as even a layer as possible. Add the remaining pasta, then the remaining cheese sauce (spreading again), then the remaining tomato sauce. Spread the tomato sauce as evenly as possible as well. Then sprinkle the mozzarella cheese on top of the whole thing. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 20 minutes, until the cheese on top is melted and everything is hot and bubbly and delicious looking. Yummy. Serve hot and enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I made this for lunch today, it was fantastic! Thank you :)

    ReplyDelete