The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Garlic Asparagus Rice Salad with Chicken

Ok, the title may be slightly misleading, but this was amazing. It's not really a true salad, I guess, but I didn't know what else to call it. I mixed cooked rice, asparagus, and chicken with butter, garlic powder, and onion powder, and it was lovely.

As you know, I've recently moved. I'm still adjusting to my kitchen, so cooking is still an adventure for me. Haha. I got into a groove with my old kitchen, and I'm having to redefine my groove here in this kitchen. :) It probably doesn't help that I'm side-stepping boxes and piles of stuff as I'm cooking since I haven't quite gotten everything unpacked and put away yet.

Anyway...as I'm trying to adjust to my new kitchen, I'm also trying to make new and exciting meals. However, at the end of the day, I'm pretty much exhausted right now from the extra to-do list of putting together a house from boxes. This meal was simple to make, didn't take very long, and I could manage it after running around like a chicken with its head cut off all day. Success! So I hope you enjoy it. Just try not to get any mental pictures of me running around like a crazy person, ok? I do still have my dignity. Well, sort of. Haha. Enjoy!

The recipe below made enough for 2 to 3 people, so adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:
-1 cup uncooked rice (I used instant white, but use whatever you'd like)
-1 chicken breast
-half a bundle of asparagus (I actually cooked the whole bundle, and set aside half for another meal)
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 cup butter, divided

Directions:
In a skillet, heat half the butter over medium/medium high heat. Cook the chicken until almost cooked through.
Cut the chicken into bit sized pieces and return to skillet. Add the garlic and onion powders and stir to coat.

While the chicken is cooking, cook the rice according to package directions (if using instant rice. If using "real" rice, start it first since it takes much longer to cook). Set aside.

While the chicken and rice are cooking, cook the asparagus. I actually steamed mine, but cook in your preferred method. It won't really matter. Cut each stalk into thirds or so (bite sized pieces).

Add the remaining butter to the skillet with the chicken. Add the rice and asparagus to the skillet and stir to incorporate.
Make sure the rice absorbs a lot of the buttery garlic-y onion-y flavor. Serve immediately and enjoy! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment