The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Monday, June 27, 2011

"Pull-Aparts"

Sometimes known as "Monkey Bread," this little jewel was a childhood favorite of mine. My mom would make this occasionally for breakfast, and I was always disappointed when it was gone and I couldn't gorge myself anymore. It is so simple and so yummy. My husband always gets excited when I make this too. I guess you could technically eat this for dessert, but I've always had it for breakfast.

We called this "Pull-aparts" growing up, because, well, you pull apart the pieces to eat it. Haha. This is literally biscuit dough and cinnamon mixed with sugar, baked in a bundt pan. It can't get much simpler. I say kudos to you if you want to make biscuit dough from scratch for this, but I use refrigerator biscuits.

Just as a funny anecdote...when I was younger, I didn't know that cinnamon was a stick. It was brown powder that came in little jars or containers. I don't know how old I was, but it was incredible to me when I finally realized that cinnamon was actually a little stick, and you had to grind it up to make the powder. I know, easily amused. Haha. Anyway...I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
-2 "rolls" of refrigerator biscuits
-approximately 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar
-approximately 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

Directions:
Preheat the oven according to biscuit package (or recipe) directions.

Mix together the sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
Cut each refrigerator biscuit into quarters. I use a pair of clean kitchen shears, but you can use a sharp knife too. Drop the quarters of dough into the cinnamon sugar. Toss gently to coat.
Place the sugar coated biscuits in the non-stick or well greased bundt pan.
Continue with the rest of the biscuit dough, evenly distributing the pieces around the pan.
Bake in the preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes, until the dough is cooked through and the top of the "pull aparts" are golden brown.

This next step is crucial. Immediately after you remove the pan from the oven, turn the pull aparts out onto a large plate (basically, just turn the bundt pan upside down over a plate and let the whole thing fall out onto the plate). If you don't do it immediately, the sugar will start to harden and make the whole thing stick annoyingly to the bundt pan. When it's hot, the sugar is semi-liquid and melted and will more easily let go of the pan.

This will make a cute little ring of pull aparts to serve.
And they will go quickly. Just warning you now. So yummy. I want some now. Just pull off a chunk and chow down. Haha.
Have fun and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I didnt know cinnamon is a stick until I was 25 when I first really started cooking and it also amazed me. I need to make this for dh. I never had it before and he is always asking for but I never got around doing it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ally, I'm so glad I'm not the only one to be cinnamon ignorant. Haha. This is so super easy, I have no doubt that you could find time to make it one of these days. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete