The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, July 15, 2011

Shells and broccoli in Garlic Butter Sauce

Ok, so I've been trying really hard to add more veggies to my diet. I just need to. So this pasta dish got some broccoli. :) Go me. Haha. I also try to use up what's in my cabinets. I happened to have some shell pasta left from another pasta dish recently, so I wanted to use it up. Hence the shells. You could really use any pasta for this. This is pretty simple, so I think most people could manage it.

Don't be afraid to try making sauce from scratch. I know it sounds intimidating at first, but after you've done it a couple times, you'll be amazed at how easily you can do it. Just give it a try. Trust me. :)

Ingredients:
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1 .5 cup heavy cream
-1.5 tablespoons garlic powder
-pasta shells
-broccoli, about 1.5 cups florets

Directions:
Boil large pot of water. Cook pasta until just al dente. Drain and set aside.

Steam broccoli florets until crisp tender. Set aside.

Heat butter in sauce pan over medium heat. When melted, whisk in flour to make a roux.
Cook roux for about 2 more minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cream and whisk to incorporate. Reduce heat to medium/low. Stir frequently. Add in the garlic powder and stir to combine.
Continue cooking another 5 minutes, stirring frequently, until sauce has thickened and everything is hot and well incorporated.

Toss pasta and broccoli in sauce until well coated.
Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment