The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Cheese, Broccoli, Potato, and Carrot Soup

It's still pretty stinkin' cold outside here where I am, so occasionally, I still get in the mood for a good hearty soup. I've made Broccoli Cheese soup before, and it is actually one of my favorite soups. When I was a kid, I didn't like veggies...oh wait, that's still true. Oops. Anyway, back to my story. My mother probably rejoiced and praised God in Heaven when she found out I actually enjoyed broccoli cheese soup. It had a green healthy veggie in it. And she didn't have to force me to eat it, or threaten me to eat it, or beg me to eat. I would gladly eat it. The fact I was eating it because it was smothered in a cream based cheese soup didn't matter. Haha. Plus, I was a scrawny kid, and the extra dairy and fat was probably good for me.

On to the present day. I still enjoy Broccoli Cheese soup, but sometimes it's just not hearty enough for a meal, you know? It's better as a side or something in my mind. So I came up with this soup as a way to make it more meal worthy, but not take away all the good stuff. I guess you could say it's almost a cross between baked potato soup and broccoli cheese soup, with carrots added in for fun. Which is awesome because I love baked potato soup too. This is a win win, people. A win.win. And delicious. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
-3 tablespoons butter
-3 tablespoons flour
-3 cups milk
-3 cups chicken broth
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-2 cups shredded cheese(I used cheddar)
-2 potatoes, peeled, cubed, and cooked (bake or boil, as long as they're tender)
-1.5 cups broccoli, cut into small florets and steamed or blanched
-1 cup carrots, cut into bite sized pieces and steamed
-salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a large pot over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk together to make a roux.
Let it cook a couple more minutes, stirring frequently.

Add the milk and stir to combine well.
Continue stirring frequently, letting the soup thicken.
When it's thickened substantially, add the chicken broth and stir to incorporate.
Add the onion powder and mix it in well. Let the soup cook for a minute to help it start to thicken slightly again, stirring occasionally.

Add the cheese and let it melt into the soup, stirring frequently.
When the cheese is well incorporated, salt and pepper to taste. Add the potatoes, broccoli, and carrots. Stir to combine. You want the chunks of everything to be evenly distributed.
Let the soup cook for a few more minutes, stirring occasionally, until everything is hot and delicious. Serve immediately.
It would be awesome with a chunk of crusty bread or something. Mmm. Devour at will.

No comments:

Post a Comment