The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Mixed Berry Tart

SO I'll just be honest. I get bored easily. I know, it's shocking, isn't it? When I am asked to bring a dessert to a get together, I hate taking the same stuff over and over. And I don't want to bring the same thing someone else did. So I try to change it up a bit. This time, I adapted a basic tart recipe that I have used before. The original is a peach tart by the amazing Paula Deen. I adapted it once before to make Lemon Blueberry tart. This time, I changed it up yet again to make a Mixed Berry tart. I know, it's craziness. This does take a little while to make, but it's easy. It's just a long bake time. So be prepared.

I used frozen mixed berries because it was easy, but please use fresh if you can get them. It's just better. Trust me. So in this tart, I had blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries. Yum. Do whatever combo you'd like. And enjoy.

Ingredients:
Crust:
-1.25 cups flour
-2 tablespoons sour cream
-1 stick of butter (1/2 cup), softened

Filling:
-Mixed berries (about 4 cups total)
-3 egg yolks
-3/4 cup sour cream
-3/4 cup sugar
-1/4 cup flour

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a food processor, combine all the crust ingredients and pulse until well combined. It will form a ball and kinda roll around the inside of the processor bowl. It will be a soft dough.

Gently press the dough into either a tart pan or glass pie plate.
You might need a little flour on your hands to help out. Make sure you get the dough all the way up the sides. Also, make sure the crust is as even as you can make it so it cooks evenly. Bake in the 375 degree oven for about 15 minutes, so the crust is set but not browned at all.
Set aside to cool while preparing filling.

Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees.

Dump the berries into the crust and smooth them into an even layer.
It's ok if it seems like the berries overfill the crust cause they'll shrink a little during cooking.

In a large bowl, combine all the filling ingredients, and beat until smooth.
This mixture then gets poured over the berries. It should pretty much settle itself, just make sure there's a little bit of this custard filling over the whole tart.
Place your tart pan or pie plate on a baking sheet and put it in the oven. Bake it for about an hour, until the custard is set and lightly golden. If you notice the crust getting to dark, just put a foil tent over it.

Let it cool slightly before cutting into it, or else you'll get a sticky, globby mess all over your knife and an ugly chunk on your plate. I know it will be hard, but let it cool off a bit. It'll be worth it. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment