The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, February 17, 2011

Pasta in Asiago Cream Sauce

I was first introduced to Asiago cheese in college, and we've had a good relationship since then. I really like it. So when I got bored of all my regular pasta sauces, I decided to try an asiago cream sauce. It's very similar to a traditional Alfredo sauce, but instead of parmesan cheese, I used Asiago. It's super easy to make, and then I just tossed some pasta in with it for a simple, easy dinner. I didn't use a lot of seasoning, because I think the cheese has a strong enough flavor on its own. So, away we go!

Ingredients:
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1 cup heavy cream
-1/2 cup milk (I used 2%)
-2 cups, approximately, grated Asiago cheese
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-Pasta, whatever kind you'd like (I used spaghetti)

Directions:
Cook the pasta in boiling water until tender. Drain and set aside.

In a medium sauce pan, melt the butter of medium/medium low heat. Whisk in the flour until it forms a roux, letting it cook a little longer while stirring frequently.
Add the cream and milk and whisk to combine well.
Let the cream and milk heat through, stirring frequently. The sauce will begin to thicken slightly. Add the cheese and stir until well incorporated. It will melt into the sauce, but keep stirring it frequently until it does.
Add the the garlic powder and stir to incorporate. Let the sauce cook and continue to thicken, stirring frequently, until it is the desired consistency. Toss the cooked pasta in the sauce until well coated.
Serve and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment