The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, February 11, 2011

Chicken Flautas

As I was debating whether to call these little suckers flautas or taquitos, I decided to do some research. It resulted in me being enlightened about the culinary names of some great Hispanic food. Did you know that "flauta" means flute in Spanish? And that flautas are called flautas because they look like a flute? It's true. It's also true that flautas are typically made with flour tortillas, while their close cousin the taquito is usually made from corn tortillas. That's about the only difference, and the two words are sometimes used interchangeably for this lovely little food. So I ended up calling mine flautas because I used flour tortillas. If you use corn tortillas, you can call them taquitos. Or you can call them either name and just revel in the goodness that is a flauta/taquito. I don't mind.

These are great as an appetizer, but they also work wonderfully as a meal. Just gauge how many to make based on which option you choose. Make more for a meal than an appetizer, obviously. My hubby and I both found these to be rather amazing. I will be making them again, probably pretty soon. And I will make more this time. I made 10 (which is what the recipe below should yield, approximately). It was not enough. Don't judge me. Just make them and see for yourself. I dare you.

Ingredients:
-1 chicken breast, cooked and shredded (about 1 cup)
-1/4 cup plain tomato sauce
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/4 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack)
-approx 10 fajita sized flour tortillas
-cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.

In a medium bowl, mix together the tomato sauce and spices.
Add the shredded chicken and stir to coat with the sauce.
Stir in the shredded cheese. Spoon a thin line of the chicken onto the center of the tortilla.
Roll as tightly as possible to get a somewhat thin roll.
I stabbed mine with a toothpick to keep it rolled tightly. Repeat until all the chicken is rolled into a tortilla.

Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. Place all your little chicken tortilla rolls onto the baking sheet, leaving at least an inch between them.
Spray the rolls with cooking spray. Bake in your 400 degree oven for approximately 7 minutes. Turn the flautas over. Bake another 7 minutes or so. The flautas should be crispy and slightly browned.
Serve hot with your dipping sauce of choice.
I used sour cream, but guacamole, queso, and salsa are all good choices too. Yum. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment