The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Saturday, November 6, 2010

Chicken Veggie Chowder


So the other day when I made this, it had been a little while since I'd been to the grocery store (read: I had very little food in the house and what I did have was a random assortment that didn't seem to go together). I looked in my freezer to see what I had to work with. Necessity is the mother of invention, after all. Well, I had some frozen chicken breasts, some hash browns, some frozen soup veggies (green beans, corn, carrots, peas), and I had some sour cream and heavy cream in the fridge. I also had some chicken bouillon in my spice cabinet. So...I decided to make a creamy soup with all that stuff. Haha. I told you, necessity is the mother of invention.

This actually turned out really well. My hubby and I both really enjoyed it. And I had leftovers and actually ate them. :) That means it was good enough to eat twice. Haha. So, here we go.

Ingredients:
-2 chicken breasts, cubed
-4 cups chicken broth
-2 cups heavy cream
-1/4 cup sour cream
-2 cups frozen soup veggies
-4 cups frozen hash brown potatoes (the shredded kind, not the chunky kind)
-2 Tablespoons flour
-Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
In a large pot, heat the chicken broth over high heat until it is boiling. Add the chicken and let it cook for a few minutes. Add the frozen veggies and hash browns, they look like this: and continue cooking for another 5 minutes or so. Reduce the heat to medium. In a separate bowl, mix together the cream and flour. Add slowly to the soup, stirring continuously. Continue stirring frequently as you let the soup cook for another 5 minutes of so. The flour and potato starch will help to thicken the soup. Add the sour cream and stir it until it is well incorporated. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Reduce heat to medium low and let the soup simmer for another 5-10 minutes, stirring frequently. You don't want the soup to boil once the cream is added because it will foam up and explode out of the pot. Once everything is hot and cooked through and the soup has thickened a bit, it's ready! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment