The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Swedish Meatballs


I just want to say that I made this because my dear husband requested it. I have never made, nor even eaten, Swedish meatballs before. After researching online for a recipe, I came to this conclusion: There are a million ways to make Swedish meatballs, and I have no idea which ones are "authentic." So...I just made up my own. Haha. I do not claim in any way, shape, or form, that these are authentic. If you're Swedish, and have an awesome recipe, I would love to hear it. But until then, I am satisfied with this one. :)

I was actually quite impressed with how these came out. My husband was happy, which made me happy, and all is right in the world. Haha. But seriously, I think this is a pretty simple meal that came together pretty quickly, so I hope you enjoy it.

Ingredients:
-1 lb ground beef
-1/2 cup breadcrumbs
-1 egg
-1/4 cup parmesan or mozzarella cheese, if desired
-Egg noodles (I used just over half a bag, but you can make as much as you need)
-1/4 cup butter
-2 Tablespoons flour
-2 cups cream
-1/2 cup sour cream

Directions:
In a mixing bowl, mix together the ground beef, egg, breadcrumbs, and cheese. I typically do this with my hands. It's just easier, even thought it is kind of gross, I admit. Haha. Anyway, once it's all mixed together, pinch of small chunks and roll them into meatballs, approximately 1.5 inches in diameter. Heat a large skillet over medium high heat. Add the meatballs and cook until no longer pink in center, turning over occasionally for even cooking. Remove the meatballs to a plate, leaving the brown bits in the skillet.

Reduce heat to medium low. Add the butter and let it melt. Once the butter is melted, add the flour and whisk it together so it makes a roux. Let the roux cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cream and whisk together so it's well incorporated. Continue to let this sauce cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently. It should start to thicken up a bit. The brown bits should be mixed into the sauce, giving it a little more flavor and all that good stuff. Add the sour cream and stir until it is well combined.

While the meatballs and sauce are cooking, boil a pot of water. Add the egg noodles and cook according to package directions until tender. Drain and set aside.

When the noodles are ready, add the meatballs back to the skillet and coat them with the sauce. Spoon some of the noodles on a plate, then spoon on some of the sauce with a few meatballs. Eat it all together. So.yummy. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment