The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Cranberry Relish

Ok, so...it's about to be Thanksgiving, so I've been seeing cranberry stuff everywhere. It made me crave it. Seriously. I.love.cranberry.sauce. The jellied kind, mind you. I know, some of you are going to claim blasphemy, but meh. It is what it is. Haha. Anyway...I was at a restaurant the other day, and they were selling cranberry relish. They had samples. And it was amazing. I then decided I must make some and figure out a way to use it, because, well...it was amazing. Haha. So here is the recipe I made. I'm just going to go ahead and say that the pictures aren't the best, but you can get the general idea. I will be posting a few recipes over the next few days about how I used it. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
-4 cups cranberries (fresh or frozen), rough chopped if desired (you can leave them whole if you want)
-1 cup water
-1/2 cup orange juice
-3/4 cup sugar (I don't really know how much I used...I just added it until it tasted good, and I think it was about 3/4 cup)

Directions:
In a large sauce pan, combine all the ingredients. Heat over high heat until it boils, stirring occasionally. Once it boils, reduce heat to medium and let the mixture cook for about 10 minutes, stirring occasionally. This will allow the berries to "pop" and become tender, and will start to thicken the "sauce" as some of the liquid is cooked off.

Reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for another 10 minutes or more, stirring occasionally, until it reaches the consistency you like. It will never turn into a jelly-like substance because there is no gelatin, but it can get decently thick. And it is yummy. Once it's cooked to your desired consistency, you can use it immediately or put it in the fridge to cool. I used it as a glaze on chicken (recipe to come soon) and used it immediately, but if you're using it for a cool application, I would put it in the fridge first. Hope you like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment