The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Frito Pie


I have a confession to make. When I was in junior high, they had a "snack bar" where they sold the good stuff for lunch. Frito Pie was one of those items. When I actually got to buy my lunch at school, it was a treat. I know, I'm that cool. But anyway, I would alternate between french fries and a chocolate malt (which was an amazing combo. I would use the fries to eat the malt. Don't knock it till you've tried it) and frito pie with a coke. I loved buying lunch days. My mother would probably be appalled to read that. Sorry, Mom.

If you have never heard of Frito Pie, I pity you. It's really nothing that special. And it's probably not really that good for you. But it's fun to eat, and I think it's tasty. It's basically just a pile of fritos topped with chili and shredded cheese. And it's amazing. I decided to make a frito pie the other day just because I felt like it. I haven't had one in, well, probably years, so...yeah. I hope you enjoy it too. :)

Ingredients:
-Ground beef (I used a half pound cause it was just for me, and there were leftovers)
-ketchup (I used enough to make the "sauce" for the chili, probably 3/4 cup for the 1/2 lb of meat)
-1 cup beef broth
-chili spices to taste (I used 1 teaspoon cumin, 2 tablespoons chili powder, 1 tablespoon garlic powder, and 1 teaspoon onion powder)
-fritos
-shredded cheese to sprinkle on top (mine was cheddar, but use your fave)

Directions:
In a large pot over medium high heat, brown the beef until cooked through. Drain the meat of grease and return to pot. Add the ketchup and beef broth and stir to combine well. Add the spices, and stir to incorporate. Let the chili simmer over medium heat for several minutes, letting the flavors marry and the sauce thicken slightly. Stir occasionally to keep the bottom layer from taking too much heat. In a bowl, pour in some fritos, probably 1/2 cup if measured. Spoon on some of the chili (don't drown the chips, but add enough so you don't have dry chips left over). Sprinkle on as much cheese as you'd like. You can eat this with your fingers if you don't mind getting a little messy. Otherwise, grab a fork. Shovel in mouth and enjoy. :)

1 comment:

  1. That's hilarious, and exactly waht I used to buy on the rare occasions we got to buy our lunches, as well! I LOVED frito pies! Until I ate it the day I got appendicitis... and it ended up all over the high school hallway... EW! I've gotten over that, now, and still eat leftover chili that way. I also like buying Wolf's brand canned chili for it, but can't find it here... And just so you know... ketchup in chili is just gross... and wrong. I want you to know that. But frito pies, while not healthy at all, are sooo delicious, that I crave them sometimes! Yuuuuummmm...

    ReplyDelete