The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Meatloaf with potatoes and carrots

Ok, let's be honest. When you hear "meatloaf," you probably aren't jumping around in exquisite joy. In fact, I think I just saw a grimace cross your face. It's ok. I understand. I won't take offense. :) I, too, have had nightmarish meatloaf experiences. But fear not. This will not be one of those.

When my husband and I went to visit his family over Thanksgiving, his grandmother, Nana, made us meatloaf with carrots and potatoes one day. I thought it was pretty good, so I thought I would attempt to make something similar. I'm not a big fan of meatloaf smothered in a sugary ketchup-y type sauce. It's just not my thing. So this is kind of "plain" for meatloaf, but I think that works. :) I hope you enjoy.

Ingredients:
-1 lb ground beef
-2 eggs
-1.5 tablespoons garlic powder
-2 teaspoons onion powder
-1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
-3/4 cup breadcrumbs
-2 potatoes, peeled and cubed
-1 cup baby carrots (or sliced regular carrots)

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the ground beef, eggs,
garlic powder, onion powder,
Worcestershire sauce,
and breadcrumbs.
I use my hands to mix it all together, it's just easier.
Form the meat into a loaf and place in the center of a baking dish.
Pour the potatoes and carrots around the meat.
Pour in about 1/4-1/2 cup of water. Cover with the baking dish lid or some foil. Bake in a 350 degree oven until the meat is cooked through and the veggies are tender, about 30 minutes to an hour.
Cut the meatloaf into slices and serve with the potatoes and carrots.
Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment