The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Saturday, January 15, 2011

Taco Pizza

Mmm pizza. And tacos. I like both. Why not combine them? Ok, let's do that.

As usual, my husband and I needed our weekly pizza fix. I decided to try a taco pizza. Yum. I have seen taco pizza at several pizza places, but...I'm not a fan of the lettuce and such they put on top of it usually. Who wants lettuce on pizza? Gross. I don't really like lettuce anyway, so lettuce on pizza is a definite no-go for me. So I made up my own taco pizza.

I started with a PLAIN pizza crust. While some spices from Italian and Latin cooking overlap, not all do, so I'd prefer to start with a neutral base. Then I mixed up a taco-seasoned tomato sauce. Once again-the Italian kind just wouldn't cut it. Plain tomato sauce would be too boring for something like this. The solution was mixing up my own sauce. Add your favorite type of taco cheese (I used cheddar, but colby jack, Monterey jack, or queso blacno would be awesome), and you're golden! Let's get crackin'!

Ingredients:
For sauce-
-3/4 cup plain tomato sauce
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder
-1/2 teaspoon dried cilantro

For meat-
-1/3 lb ground beef
-1/3 cup water
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 teaspoon chili powder

For Pizza-
-1 pizza crust (mine was a store bought one)
-prepared sauce
-prepared beef
-3/4 cup cheddar cheese

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the sauce ingredients until well combined.
Set aside.

In a skillet, place the ground beef and cook over medium/medium-high heat. Drain the grease and return meat to pan. Add the water and spices and stir to combine. Reduce heat to medium.
Let the liquid be absorbed by the meat, stirring occasionally. When the liquid is gone, remove the meat from the heat and set aside.

Lay out the pizza crust. If the crust needs to be half-baked before topping, bake according to package directions. Spread a thin layer of the seasoned sauce over the crust.
Add the ground beef evenly over the pizza.
Sprinkle with cheese.
Bake at 425 (or package directions) for about 10-12 minutes until the crust is golden and the cheese is melted and yummy.
Cut in slices and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment