The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, March 20, 2011

Chicken in Peanut sauce

I decided to experiment with a new Asian inspired dish. Chicken in Peanut sauce, over noodles. I wasn't sure what to expect, but it actually turned out all right. I think I'll tweak it next time I make it, but for a first attempt, not too shabby. :)

A lot of Asian or eastern dishes are pretty spicy, so I tend to be hesitant to try them when they're made by someone else. But when I decided to try this, I could kind of control how things went in the spice department, which means that this is persnickety approved. It was very flavorful, in my opinion, but not overly so. I don't know how "authentic" it tastes, but it works for me. I used fettuccine pasta as my noodles. I just think they work well. You could also use spaghetti, or some sort of Asian noodle. Whatever floats your boat. Enjoy!

Ingredients:
-1/2 cup peanut butter
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1 teaspoon ground ginger
-3 tablespoons soy sauce
-3 tablespoons brown sugar
-1 cup chicken broth, divided in half
-chicken breasts, enough to feed everyone
-pasta (I used fettuccine)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the first 6 ingredients and half of the chicken broth until well incorporated.
Put the chicken breasts in a large plastic bag, and pour in a little of the mixture as a marinade.
The remaining mixture will be your sauce, so don't use too terribly much as a marinade, maybe a quarter of the mixture or so, enough to coat the chicken. Let the chicken marinate for at least 30 minutes, or overnight in the fridge. Keep the rest of the sauce in the fridge too, if you're doing the overnight option.

When you're ready to make the rest of the meal, boil a pot of water and cook the pasta. Drain and set aside. Pour the remaining sauce mixture into a small sauce pan. Add the other half of the chicken broth. Heat over medium heat and allow it to thicken slightly, stirring frequently.

Grill the chicken until cooked through. I used a counter-top grill contraption that takes like 5 minutes to cook chicken, but do it however you prefer. NO PINK in the middle! :)

Slice the chicken into strips.
Pour most of the sauce over the noodles and stir to coat well, leaving a little sauce in reserve for the chicken.
Plate the pasta, then place the sliced chicken on top of the noodles. Spoon a little bit of the sauce over the chicken for good measure.
Yummy! Eat and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment