The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, March 17, 2011

Homemade Deli Sandwiches

When I was growing up, my amazing mother made me a lunch everyday, and it usually contained a sandwich. Usually, they were the regular lunch meats and some cheese, but nothing terribly exciting. I mean, it was a lunch for school.

Sometimes, though, on a weekend, we would have "Hawaiian bread sandwiches." You've never heard of Hawaiian bread? How sad. It's amazing. It's a sweet bread, but not too terribly sweet. Amazing for sandwiches. And on those rare occasions we had these wonderful sandwiches, my parents would "splurge" on fresh sliced deli meat from the deli part of the grocery store, and some deli sliced cheeses. And we would be in hog heaven.

So...while this blog post does indeed show you how to construct a sandwich on Hawaiian bread, it is more of a nostalgic post for me, because I carried on the tradition of Hawaiian bread sandwiches. Hehe. Let's take a walk down memory lane now, shall we?

Ingredients:
-Hawaiian bread
-sliced deli meats
-sliced deli cheeses
-any sandwich condiments you prefer (mayo, mustard, etc)
-any sandwich trimmings you prefer (lettuce, tomato, etc)

Directions:
Hawaiian bread, at least the kind I get, usually comes in this awesome round loaf.
I use my electric knife to cut it. It's easier to me than a regular bread knife. I can get the slices more uniform. So I cut several slices, as many as I'll need to make the sandwiches, and leave the rest whole.
It retains it's moistness better that way.

Moving on. I take my two slices of bread and spread whatever condiments I'd like on the bread
(this one was for my hubby...I don't like mustard). Then I add the cheese (I used smoked provolone for this one) onto one slice of bread. Then I add the meat onto the cheese (I used roasted turkey). I usually fold it to fit on the bread, however that will work. I top it with the other piece of bread, and voila!
Yummy deli sandwich is ready to go.
Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment