The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Mexican Chicken Burrito Bake

I have shared my chicken enchilada recipe on here before, which I love. It's a great, mild chicken enchilada recipe. I will say, though, that sometimes I don't really want enchiladas, but something else that is Tex-Mex and yummy. I decided to try a little something new, and I think it turned out pretty well. There were no leftovers, and my hubby had seconds, so it had to have been decent. Haha. I can't really figure out what to call it, so you get the above title in all its clumsy glory.

This is extremely simple to make. I like simple. Especially on nights when I am pretty close to exhausted and don't want to think about cooking, but still have to do it anyway. I hope this can give you another easy weeknight meal. Yum!

Ingredients:
-Chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (I used one large chicken breast, and it made enough filling for about 7 small burritos)
-1/2 cup uncooked rice (I used instant-this is a great way to use up some leftover rice from another meal too)
-1/4 cup salsa
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1.5 tablespoons chili powder
-1 teaspoon cumin
-1/2 cup water (more if needed, but start small)
-1 cup or so of shredded cheese (I used colby jack), divided
-tortillas (I used the small fajita size)

Directions:
In a small pot, cook the rice according to package directions. Set aside.

In a medium sized pot, add the chicken,
salsa,
water, and spices.
Heat over medium heat, stirring occasionally. Add in the rice
and let it all cook together until the liquid has been absorbed, stirring frequently. When the liquid is mostly gone, it's done!

Take a tortilla and spread a thin layer of the cheese in the center.
Next, spoon a line of the chicken mixture on top of the cheese.
Roll the tortilla around the filling, creating a small burrito. Place seam side down in a baking dish.
Repeat until the filling is used up and the baking dish is full.
Sprinkle the remaining cheese on top.

Bake in a 350 degree oven until the cheese is melted and the burritos are a little crispy on the edges and hot inside.
Serve and enjoy!
A little sour cream, salsa, or queso dip would be great with these... Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment