The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Southwest Pasta

I'm usually a fan of southwestern-type flavors. I guess it comes from my Texas roots. :) So when I decided to make pasta this time around, I decided I would try to make something a little different. Big shocker, huh? Haha.

This was actually semi-inspired by a pasta dish I had at a restaurant in my hometown, which just happens to be the place my husband and I went on our first date. They have a southwestern pasta dish, but it's a little different than mine. I don't even think I could remember everything that was in it, but I could make up my own. So I did. :)

This was actually pretty simple, and I think it turned out pretty well, so I hope you like it!

Ingredients:
-16 oz box of rotelle pasta (corkscrew looking pasta)
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1 cup heavy cream
-1 cup milk (I used 2%)
-2 tablespoons garlic powder
-1 tablespoon onion powder
-1 tablespoon chili powder
-1 can whole kernel corn, drained
-1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
-1 can Rotel tomatoes and peppers, drained

Directions:
In a large pot, bring water to a boil. Add in the pasta and cook until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain, return to pot, and set aside.

While pasta is cooking, melt the butter in a medium sauce pan over medium/medium-low heat. Add in the flour and whisk to combine, forming a roux. Let it cook for a couple more minutes, stirring occasionally. Add in the heavy cream and whisk to incorporate. Let the cream heat up, stirring occasionally. The sauce should begin to thicken slightly. Add in the milk and whisk to incorporate. Let the milk heat up as well. The sauce will again thicken a bit. Add in the garlic powder, onion powder, and chili powder, and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and continue cooking another few minutes, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened just a bit more.

Add the corn, black beans, and Rotel tomatoes and peppers to the pasta. Stir to combine.
Pour the sauce over the pasta, and stir to coat.
Serve immediately and enjoy! Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment