The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, January 17, 2010

Baked Potato Soup



Today was kinda cold and rainy and yucky, so I adapted my meal plan and made baked potato soup instead of the chicken I was going to make. It just seemed more appropriate. I wish I could say I came up with this recipe, but I didn't. I got it from yet another blog...http://mrsseamonster.blogspot.com. It is a pretty darn good recipe. So I will share the original, and then my adaptations.

Original: http://mrsseamonster.blogspot.com/2008/12/potato-soup-oatmeal-raisin-cookies.html

My take:
First of all, I half the recipe, and it still makes enough for my husband and I to eat it for two meals. So this is a crowd meal, for sure.

Ingredients:
6 slices bacon
1/3 cup margarine or butter
1/3 cup all purpose flour
3.5 cups milk
2 large baked potatoes, peeled and cubed (cooked!)
3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese (I use quite a bit more cheese...I like cheese :) )
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper

Directions:
Cook the bacon. Let it cool enough to handle, then crumble it up and set it aside.

In a large pot, melt the butter over medium heat, and wish in the flour till it's well mixed and smooth. (This is a roux in cooking terms). Gradually stir in the milk, whisking it constantly until it's well mixed and starting to thicken up. Stir in the potato chunks, then bring the soup to a boil, stirring frequently.

Reduce the heat and let the soup simmer for about 10 minutes. Mix in the bacon, cheese, sour cream, salt, and pepper. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until all the cheese is melted. Serve immediately. I "garnish" mine with a little sprinkle of colby jack cheese, and sometimes some bacon crumbles. It's also great with a chunk of crusty bread. Yum.

1 comment:

  1. I just made this recipe and posted it to my blog about a week ago. Great minds think alike I tell ya!!! It is definitely a new favorite in our house especially during these winter months.

    ReplyDelete