The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Chicken Fried Rice


My husband and I love to go to those Japanese Steakhouse places. You know, the ones where they cook the food in front of you on a huge flat top grill. My favorite part is the fried rice. I'm not gonna lie. It's probably the least healthy part, but...I don't care. It is amazing.

Since we can't go to one of those places all the time, I get my fried rice fix at home. This is also a lots-of-food-for-cheap meal, so it'd be good for a big family, or for a dinner party, or what have you. I mean...who DOESN'T like fried rice? :)

Ingredients:
2-3 tablespoons vegetable oil (to thinly coat the bottom of the wok or skillet)
3 cups cooked, cold rice (I use Minute rice)
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
2 tablespoons soy sauce
2 eggs
1/2 cup veggies to put in the rice (I use canned peas and carrots)
2 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed

Directions:
In a cooking wok, or a really large skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. When the oil is hot, add the rice and stir fry it for a couple minutes. Add the spices and soy sauce, and stir to combine, the stir fry it a couple more minutes. Push the rice to one side of the wok or skillet. Scramble the eggs on the other side. When the eggs are cooked, combine with the rice until evenly distributed. Add the veggies and stir fry until heated through. Add the chicken and stir fry until heated through and everything is combined well. Serve immediately

If you want to have a more "balanced" meal, don't add the chicken to the rice. Make a little more of it. Cook it in some butter until it's almost cooked through, then add a little soy sauce toward the end to make something similar to hibachi chicken. Or use teriyaki sauce for teriyaki chicken. You can also cook up some carrots and zucchini (cut into thick strips) with some soy sauce for a similar take on hibachi vegetables. Just heat some butter in a pan, cook the veggies a couple minutes, stirring frequently, and add some soy sauce toward the end. You don't want to burn the soy sauce. That tastes nasty. That's why you only add it at the end, whether for meat or veggies.

No matter what you do...I hope you enjoy the fried rice. I mean, really, it's the best part anyway. ;)

2 comments:

  1. I do not like friend rice with the eggs. Cuz you know me I don't like eggs, so people think I just don't like fried rice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You can make this without the eggs. :) It would still taste yummy.

    ReplyDelete