The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Lasagna anyone?


So my meal plan for tonight says white lasagna. I also included the suggestion of altering it slightly to make it lasagna florentine. I made both. :) And I must say, albeit humbly, that I impressed myself with this one. I hope you like it as much as I did, because...well...I ate too much of it and that means I think it's yummy. And that's a good thing. :) The eating too much of it thing isn't that great, but...we'll ignore that for now.

I am going to list two separate recipes, although they are very similar, because it'd be too confusing otherwise. So here we go.

White lasagna:

Ingredients:
-Lasagna noodles (I don't use the oven ready kind. I don't think they cook well enough)
-Alfredo sauce (I make it homemade) Use store bought if you'd rather.
-chicken breasts, cooked and shredded (Probably 2 or 3)
-spinach (about 1/2 cup of canned or frozen spinach, drained)
-mozzarella cheese, shredded


Directions:
Boil the noodles in a large pot of water until almost tender, but still slightly under done. They'll finish cooking in the oven later. In a baking dish, pour a little of the alfredo sauce to keep the noodles from sticking and drying out. Then put down a layer of noodles, a layer of spinach, a layer of chicken, and more alfredo sauce. Repeat layers-noodles, spinach, chicken, sauce. Add one last layer of noodles, then sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove the foil, and bake another 10 minutes. Everything should be bubbly and hot and yummy. Let it cool a couple minutes, then cut it and serve it.
Yummm.


Lasagna Florentine:

Ingredients (pretty much the same as for white lasagna, but add tomato sauce):
-Lasagna noodles
-alfredo sauce
-tomato sauce
-spinach
-chicken
-mozarella cheese, shredded


Directions:
Boil the noodles in a large pot of water until almost tender, but still slightly under done. They'll finish cooking in the oven later. In a baking dish, pour a little of the tomato sauce to keep the noodles from sticking and drying out. Then put down a layer of noodles, a layer of spinach, a layer of chicken, and a layer of alfredo sauce. Put down another layer of noodles, then tomato sauce, then spinach, then chicken, then alfredo sauce. Add one last layer of noodles, then tomato sauce. Sprinkle mozzarella over the top. Cover in foil and bake for 20 minutes in a 350 degree oven. Remove the foil, and bake another 10 minutes.
Everything should be bubbly and hot and yummy. Let it cool a couple minutes, then cut it and serve it. This is pretty amazing, I'm not gonna lie.


I'm also gonna give my recipe for alfredo sauce in case you want to use it.

Ingredients:
-1/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup flour
-2 cups cream
-1 cup milk
-1.5 cups parmesan
-2 teaspoons garlic powder

Directions:
In a sauce pan, melt butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. When flour and butter are combined well, pour in cream and milk and let them heat up with roux, stirring frequently. When the cream and milk are well combined with the roux and heated up, add the parmesan and let it melt into the sauce, stirring frequently. When the cheese is melted and incorporated into the sauce, add the garlic, and stir it in well. Continue stirring frequently until the sauce is the correct consistency-liquid enough to pour but think enough to be yummy and wonderful.

I hope all of this is helpful. Let me know what you think!

1 comment:

  1. I made the lasagna Florentine a few weeks ago and it was YUMMY! Thanks for sharing!
    Also wanted to add that my picky 2 year old loved it also!

    ReplyDelete