The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Cheesesteak Sandwich


I am not from Philadelphia. I've never even been to Philadelphia. I don't think I even know anyone from Philadelphia. I do not claim that my cheesesteak sandwich is a "Philly cheesesteak." Hence why it's just "cheesesteak" in the title. So if you are from Philly, or if you've been to Philly, or if you know someone from Philly, please don't send me hate mail about how my cheeseteak isn't authentic. I know it's not. It's persnickety-fied. But it's yummy anyway. :)

As you probably know by now, I'm not a huge fan of onions. This presents a problem when a meal is slathered in them. Most cheesesteaks have lots of sauteed onions or some such nonsense. Not on this blog, no sir. You can add them if you'd like. I won't take offense, I promise. Hehe. But none for me, thanks. I'll take my plain-ish sandwich, please. You'll see what I mean momentarily.

Ingredients:
-Thinly sliced roast beef, of the sandwich variety (I got mine at the deli counter at my local supermarket)
-butter, enough to saute your meat in
-onion powder, garlic powder, and oregano to taste (maybe 1/2 teaspoon each per sandwich? maybe? I dunno, I eye-ball it)
-sliced provolone cheese (once again from the deli counter)
-Hoagie/sub sandwich rolls
-any condiments you may desire...mine was plain.

Directions:
Preheat your oven broiler on low.

Cut your roast beef slices into 2 inch strips. Melt some butter in a saute pan over medium/medium high heat. When the butter is melted, add in some onion powder and garlic powder, along with the oregano. Add in the meat strips, and saute until the meat has browned a bit and is hot all the way through.

Open up one of your hoagie rolls. Put any condiments you want on the bread. Add the meat, then the cheese. Place it on a baking sheet and stick it under the broiler until the cheese is melted and the bread is a little toasty. Do.not.leave.the.oven. I'm not kidding. The second you walk away, it will burn. If you stand there, it will take forever. I think that whole "watched pot never boils" thing needs to be re-done...to "a watched sandwich never broils." But seriously...don't leave. Stare at that sucker until it's done...unless of course you like blackened bread and disintegrated cheese and charred meat. When it has reached its lovely toasted-y-ness, remove it from the oven, fold it up to a normal sandwich, and devour. Ok, you can put it on a plate with some chips or something if you want...but you will eventually devour it. Trust me. And enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment