The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, September 3, 2010

Moo Shu Noodles


I have made something similar to this before. It didn't turn out so well. Haha. This time, I adjusted some things, and it turned out MUCH better. And I added broccoli, which makes it healthier, right? Sorta? Ok, works for me. :)

You can use any kind of pasta, really. I think long skinny noodles like spaghetti, angel hair, fettucini, etc work best, but who am I to judge? Use whatcha got, I say. I added some broccoli to mine, but you could add any veggies you wanted to, really...you're just stir-frying them, so throw in whatever you want to. This works well for me when I'm craving Chinese take-out and don't want to do the take-out part. It's really quick and easy, in my opinion. I think you'll like it. :)

Ingredients:
-Pasta (I used spaghetti), enough to feed everyone. I made a little bit, just for me, but I'll give directions for a whole box (16 oz)
-1/4 cup hoisin sauce (available in the Asian section of most grocery stores)
-3 tablespoons soy sauce
-ground ginger and garlic powder to taste (approximately 1 teaspoon garlic, 1/2 teaspoon ginger)
-1/2 cup chicken broth (I just added some water to the cooked chicken crusties on the bottom of the pan, aka de-glazed the pan after cooking the chicken)
-2 eggs, beaten
-chicken breasts (approx 3-4, or however much you want), cubed
-broccoli florets, approximately 1/2-1 cup per person
-veggie oil, to stir fry (approximately 2 tablespoons for chicken and 2 tablespoons for broccoli)

Directions:
Boil a large pot of water. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, place a large skillet over medium high heat, then add 2 tablespoons of veggie oil. Let it heat up. Add the veggies and stir fry until just tender-crisp. No mushy veggies, folks. Set the veggies aside on a plate. Add a little more oil, and cook the chicken cubes until no longer pink inside, but don't overcook them. Set the chicken aside with the veggies. Add just a little bit more oil (or butter if you prefer), and scramble the eggs until cooked. Set aside with the veggies and chicken.

In a separate bowl, mix together the hoisin sauce and soy sauce. Stir in the ginger and garlic. Pour the cooked pasta into the skillet, back over medium heat. Add the veggies, chicken, and eggs. Then pour the sauce over the top of everything, as well as the chicken broth. Stir everything to combine well, letting the pasta get coated in the sauce, and all the chicken and veggies and eggs evenly distributed. Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment