The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Oven Fried Chicken, Sides, and Homemade Biscuits


So...I like fried chicken. The crunchier the better. I don't like soggy. Blech. I'm always looking for new and improved ways to make oven fried chicken, since I also don't do too terribly well with greasy. I am also trying REALLY hard to eat more healthily. Not an easy feat for me. I know, sad. But it's true. So I recently decided to try to eat more grains. It's stretching me. Haha. One way is...I breaded my chicken with pulverized oats. Instead of flour, I ground up some oatmeal in my food processor and used that. And it was pretty good, amazingly enough. :) I also made homemade biscuits...a first for me. I got the recipe from Paula Deen They were a lot easier than I thought they'd be. And they turned out pretty well, I think. So away we go.

Ingredients:
For Chicken:
-Chicken-any kind you like, as much as you need
-egg wash-egg and milk, beaten together
-flour-enough to dredge the chicken
-pulverized oats-enough to dredge the chicken
-Butter, about 1 tablespoon, to brown chicken in a skillet

For mashed potatoes:
-Potatoes-I used russet-peeled and cubed
-butter to taste
-sour cream to taste

For green beans:
-1 can green beans
-butter, to taste
-onion powder, to taste
-bacon bits, to taste

For Biscuits:
-2 cups all-purpose flour
-1 teaspoons sugar
-1 tablespoon baking powder
-1 teaspoon salt
-8 tablespoons (1 stick) butter, cubed
-3/4 cup milk

Directions:
In three shallow dishes, add the flour, egg mixture, and oats. Dredge the chicken in the flour, then the egg, then the oats. Place in a skillet with butter melted over medium high heat. Just brown both sides, then place on a baking sheet and bake at 400 degrees until cooked though, approximately 20 minutes or so.

Boil the potatoes until tender. Drain, then return to pot. Mash with a potato masher, then add butter and sour cream. Mix well and serve hot.

Empty the can of green beans into a microwaveable dish. Add butter, onion powder, and bacon bits to taste. Microwave until hot, then stir to coat the beans with the butter. Serve hot.

In a mixing bowl, combine the dry ingredients for the biscuits. Cut in the butter until the mixture resembles corn meal. Hollow out a little hole in the middle of the bowl. Add the milk into that well, and knead it by hand. Roll it out gently on a lightly floured surface. Don't handle the dough too much or your biscuits won't be fluffy. Cut the biscuits with a biscuit cutter and bake at 350 for about 12-15 minutes until golden brown. Serve everything together and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment