The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, April 8, 2011

About-to-move Food- Potato stuffed crescent roll

Ok, so, we're about to move for the 5th time in 5 years. To a new state. So I'm making up some interesting meals as I'm cleaning out my fridge and pantry in preparation for the move. I do this every time we move, so you'd think I'd have it down by now, but not so much. You always have different weird things left over.

This is basically loaded mashed potatoes in a crescent roll crust. Let me explain how this came to be...

When I was younger, and my family would go out for dinner somewhere that served steak, potatoes, and rolls, I would invariably end up stuffing the potatoes into the roll and eating them together. I know, I'm weird. I have accepted that. Haha. But anyway...I did that. So when I was looking at what I had in my fridge and pantry to make for dinner, I saw potatoes and a tube of crescent rolls. So..it just happened. Haha.

Honestly, this was actually pretty tasty. A little odd (my husband looked at me funny when I told him what it was), but tasty nonetheless. I'm not saying you should serve this alone for dinner, but it would be a great side dish. Grilled chicken, steaks, etc. would all go great with this. So have fun playing with this food...

Ingredients:
-1 tube refrigerator crescent rolls
-2-3 medium sized potatoes (I used russet)
-butter to taste (I used about 1/4 cup)
-milk, enough to get a creamy consistency for the mashed potatoes (I used about 1/4 cup)
-shredded cheese, per your preference (I used about a cup of cheddar)
-crumbled bacon, per your preference (I used about 3 tablespoons)

Directions:
Wash, peel, and boil the potatoes in a large pot until the potatoes are fork tender. Use a potato masher to mash the potatoes with the butter.
Add in the milk and mash some more.
Stir in the cheese
and bacon crumbles.

Unroll the crescent rolls onto a baking sheet.
Pinch all the seams together so it's one big piece of dough (You can also get the Crescent Creations thing Pillsbury makes and skip this step).
Scoop the potatoes into the center of the dough and pile it up, leaving enough dough on the sides to wrap over the potatoes.

Fold the edges of the dough up and over the potatoes.
Pinch the dough together in the center to keep the whole thing together. I scored the top a few times to let some of the steam from the potatoes escape.
Bake according to package directions until the dough is golden brown and yummy.
Cut a piece from the roll and enjoy!
Yum!

2 comments:

  1. Don't know what happened to the post I was writing. lol
    Anyway, I can't believe someone else actually ate their potatoes like I did. I always plopped my potatoes on a roll and any other kind of bread we had. I loved it on Rye bread . )
    Thanks for sharing.Will be doing this tomorrow.
    Carol L
    Lucky4750@aol.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol, Thanks for posting! I love it! Glad to know I'm not the only one with this quirk. Haha. I hope you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete