The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, April 28, 2011

Grilled Chicken, Creamed Spinach, and Buttered Carrots

When I buy veggies, I almost never use them all at once. I usually have leftovers. So when it comes time to move, I usually have a random assortment of not very many veggies. Haha. So this meal came from cleaning out a couple of them together.

I actually don't mind spinach too terribly much. I very rarely eat it but itself as a side, but I don't mind it. I add it into other dishes all the time. My husband, who is a true deep Southerner, introduced me to creamed spinach. I think everyone makes it a little differently, but my way might be slightly a-typical. I think most of the time it's made with cream and nutmeg. Mine is made with cream, parmesan, garlic, and onion. I think it's quite tasty. My husband likes it as well, so we're golden. Haha.

This meal isn't really very complicated. It's a pretty quick, easy meal, but it was yummy. I think it would be great for those busy weeknights. This made plenty to feed the two of us. I made a chicken breast for each of us, but I know not everyone eats a whole one themselves, so adjust as needed. The creamed spinach and carrots were great portion sizes for us. I would say double the recipe for a family of four. Just saying. :) Have fun!

Ingredients:
-2 chicken breasts
-1/4 cup olive oil
-2 tablespoons spice mix (I used a roasted garlic and herb concoction)

-1/2 cup frozen spinach
-1/4 cup heavy cream
-a handful of grated parmesan (probably just under 1/4 cup)
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-2 tablespoons butter

-1 cup carrots (I used baby carrots, so no chopping needed. If using regular carrots, peel and chop coarsely)
-2 tablespoons butter

Directions:
In a large ziploc bag, place the chicken. Pour in the olive oil and seasoning. Close the bag and massage the seasoning and oil into the chicken. Set aside to marinate for a few minutes.

In a medium sized pan, boil some water. Add the carrots and cook just until tender. You don't want mushy carrots, but you don't want raw either. Drain the carrots and return to pan. Add in the 2 tablespoons of butter and let it melt into the carrots, stirring to coat.
Set aside.

In a small sauce pan over medium heat, melt the 2 tablespoons of butter. Add in the cream and stir. Add in the garlic and onion powders and stir to combine.
Add in the frozen spinach (no need to thaw) and stir. Let the spinach thaw into the cream mixture. When the spinach is thawed, add in the parmesan and stir to combine. Let the parmesan melt into the spinach, stirring occasionally. When the cheese is melted and everything is hot and yummy, it's done.

While the veggies are cooking, remove the chicken from the baggie and place immediately on a grill.
I used my counter top grill that only takes a little while to cook the chicken. If you're using a regular grill, I'd start the chicken before the veggies, but keep an eye on it. Dry, overdone chicken is no good. :) Cook until no longer pink in the center, or until juices run clear when the chicken is poked.

I sliced my chicken and served it that way, adding the veggies to the plate next to it.
This was actually really tasty, and I hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment