The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, April 15, 2011

Creamy Tomato and Spinach Rotini

Creamy Tomato Spinach Rotini

I’m still cleaning out my kitchen for the move. I pretty much always have pasta of some sort, and making a sauce just kinda comes with that. I always try to think of new types of sauces, so I often have the ingredients laying around. This time, I had some frozen spinach and a jar of diced tomatoes, and some cream and parmesan in the fridge. Voila! Sauce it is. It was pretty easy to make, too…

I used garden rotini. It’s the tricolor kind. It was pretty with the red and green of the sauce. Hehe. I hope you enjoy!

Ingredients:
-pasta (I used about 8 oz of the rotini, or half a box)
-1/2 can diced tomatoes, with juices
-1/4 cup frozen spinach
-2 tablespoons butter
-1 tablespoon flour
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1/2 cup milk
-1 tablespoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain and set aside.

In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Whisk in the flour to make a roux.
Cook for a couple minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cream and whisk to incorporate. It will begin to thicken up. Add the milk and whisk to combine. Continue cooking for a few minutes, letting the sauce thicken slightly.
Add the garlic and onion powder and stir to combine. Add in the tomatoes and spinach.
Let them heat through and combine into the sauce. Coat the pasta with the sauce
and serve immediately. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment