The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Monday, April 25, 2011

Apple Craisin Chicken Quesadillas

I don't really know how I end up with what I end up with before we move. It is the most random assortment of food stuff ever. So when I went to make my meal plan, I just made a list of everything I had in my pantry and fridge, and played the match up game. Anything that could remotely go together, I came up with a meal from. That's just how I roll when moving time comes around.

Two ingredients I had on my list was an apple and some leftover craisins. In my amazing creative powder (ha!), I managed to come up with the idea of apple craisin chicken quesadillas. It wasn't half bad, actually. Some people aren't fans of fruit and meat together, but I don't mind the combination. I like grapes in my chicken salad, apples with my pork, and other such things. So this was not a big deal for me. If you're one of those that doesn't particularly enjoy fruit and meat, skip this one. I won't be offended. :) This probably made enough quesadillas to feed four people. Adjust accordingly.

Ingredients:
-two chicken breasts, cooked and cut into little pieces
-1/4 cup craisins
-1 apple, diced (I used a green apple; they're more tart, which I think works better in this case)
-juice of one lime (to keep the apple from turning brown)
-1 cup shredded cheese (I used colby jack)

Directions:
In a bowl, pour in the craisins, then about a cup of hot water.
Let them soak for about 10 or 15 minutes. It helps to plump them back up a bit. You don't HAVE to do this step, but I think it helps. Drain the water.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Add the chicken, apple, lime juice, and cheese to the bowl with the craisins. Stir to combine.
Spoon some of the filling on one half of a tortilla.
Fold the tortilla over the filling. Stab it with a toothpick to keep it closed if necessary. Place on a baking sheet. Repeat for the rest of the tortillas.

Bake the quesadillas for about 5 minutes, then turn over. Bake another 5 minutes, and remove from oven. The tortillas should be slightly crispy and golden brown.
Cut them into wedges and serve immediately.
Yum! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment