The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, April 22, 2011

Pancetta and Spinach Fettuccine

I had some fettuccine I needed to use up, and I had a little pancetta left over from a previous meal, so I figured, hey, why not? I also had some spinach in the freezer, and figured I might as well toss some of that in there too. The end result: awesomeness. My husband was disappointed there wasn't more to eat. Haha. I guess that means he liked it. Either that or he was really hungry...I'm going with he liked it to make myself feel better. :)

This was actually really easy and pretty quick, as well, which is always nice. I actually didn't make too terribly much of this since I was using leftover stuff, but it was enough for two people to have a decent serving. Hope you like it!

Ingredients:
-fettuccine (I used probably 6 oz)
-1 tablespoons olive oil
-pancetta, cut into bite size pieces. This was probably 4 oz or so. (1/8 lb)
-2 tablespoons flour
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1/2 cup milk
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/2 teaspoon onion powder
-1/4 cup frozen spinach

Directions:
Bring a pot of water to a boil. Cook the pasta until al dente, stirring occasionally. Drain and set aside.

While the pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet. When the oil is hot, add in the pancetta and saute it until it starts to crisp up and brown slightly.
There should be a little oil left in the skillet, with some of the rendered fat from the pancetta. This will be the fat for your roux. Sprinkle the flour into the skillet. Stir the flour into the oil and fat. The pancetta will kinda look like it's coated, and the liquid will seem to disappear.
All is well. Add in the cream and stir to incorporate well. It should start to thicken up a bit. Add in the milk and stir to incorporate.
Once the milk is heated through and the sauce begins to thicken a bit again, add in the garlic and onion powder. Stir to combine well. When everything is mixed together and the sauce is hot, add in the frozen spinach. It will thaw in the sauce, so just toss it in there.
When the spinach is heated through and well incorporated, toss the pasta in the sauce. Stir it around the get the pasta coated in the sauce.
Serve immediately and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment