The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Monday, May 10, 2010

Apple Chicken Quesadillas


I've been all over allrecipes.com lately, I know. This is another recipe from there, for apple chicken quesadillas. I thought it sounded interesting, so I tried it. It was actually pretty tasty. I almost died laughing after dinner, when I told my husband what was in these. He said, "That stuff I was eating was apples?" It was comical. Haha. Yes, there are apples in here. I thought they turned out pretty well. This is also a different method of making quesadillas that I'm pretty sure I will use again. Folding a tortilla in half over filling was way easier than layering filling between two tortillas, like I typically do. I know, common sense, I shoulda figured that one out sooner, but hey. Now I know. Haha. And soon...you will know too. Cause you're about to read the recipe. As usual, mine is slightly adapted from the original.

Ingredients:
-1 apple, chopped into small pieces (I used a green apple, granny smith or something. tart is better)
-1 cup cooked, chopped chicken
-1/2 cup or so of shredded cheddar or colby jack cheese (i used colby jack)
-1/2 cup or so of shredded mozzarella cheeses
-1/2 cup or so of corn (I used canned, but drain it well)
-1/2 cup chopped tomatoes (I probably used 1.4 cup, cause I'm not big on tomatoes)
-1.5 teaspoons onion powder (you could use chopped onion, but I'm not an onion fan)
-1/4 teaspoon of salt, if needed
-flour tortillas
-optional condiments/toppings-lettuce, sour cream, salsa, etc

Directions:
In a large bowl, mix together the chicken, apples, corn, tomatoes, cheese, and onion powder. Add the salt if desired. Spoon about 1/2-3/4 cup of filling onto one side of the tortilla. Fold the other half of the tortilla over the filling, and secure it with toothpicks. (you don't have to do the toothpick thing, but I think it makes it easier to handle before it's all cooked, like when you're transferring it to the baking sheet) Place the filled tortilla on a baking sheet. When you have as many filled tortillas as you need, or can fit on a baking sheet, bake them in a 400 degree oven for about ten minutes. The tortillas will be starting to brown, and the filling will be getting hot and melted-y. Flip the quesadillas over, and cook about another 5 minutes, when the tortillas will be browned a bit and the inside will be all hot and melted and yummy. Remove from the baking sheet, remove the toothpicks, and cut each filled tortilla in thirds, making wedges. Serve these with salsa, sour cream, shredded lettuce, or whatever else you desire with your quesadillas. An interesting take on a typical quesadilla. I enjoyed them, and I hope you do too!

No comments:

Post a Comment