The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, May 6, 2010

Beef with Broccoli


Occasionally I crave Chinese food. Honestly, almost all Chinese food from restaurants is probably about as good for you as motor oil, but sometimes...so good. This recipe isn't too horribly bad, and it helped hold the craving monster at bay for a little while. I got the recipe from allrecipes.com, and mostly followed it. As always, slight variations are inevitable with me. Hehe. But it's a pretty decent recipe. I served it over regular white rice and it was lovely.

I will say that I didn't add as much broccoli as they said, and it would probably be great if you did. I didn't have that much in my fridge, so I just made what I had. It still turned out pretty good though. I would make it again someday. So without further ado...Beef with Broccoli.

Ingredients:
-White rice (I used the cooks in 5 minutes kind)
-Beef, cut into bite size pieces (I used a big chunk of round steak or something. It wasn't exactly what the recipe called for, but close enough. About a lb of it is great)
-1/4 cup flour
-1.5 cups beef broth
-2 tablespoons sugar
-2 tablespoons soy sauce
-1/4 teaspoon fresh chopped ginger (I actually used about 1/4 teaspoon of bottled ground ginger...it was fine)
-1 clove garlic, minced (or...1/2 teaspoon or so of garlic powder)
-4 cups fresh chopped broccoli (I only used about 2 cups, and it wasn't enough. I would use more)

Directions:
In a small bowl, mix together the flour, beef broth, sugar, and soy sauce. Make sure everything is dissolved into the liquid. Set aside.

In a large skillet or wok, over medium-high heat, cook the meat until brown. Stir in the broth mixture and other seasonings. Add the broccoli. Stir it all up to coat everything. Let the liquid come to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low/low. Simmer the whole shebang for about 5-10 minutes, till the broccoli is cooked and the sauce has thickened a bit. Serve it over rice or noodles (I did rice), and enjoy. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment