The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, May 2, 2010

Taco Bowls


Once again, I am referencing Mel's Kitchen Cafe. It's kind of ridiculous how much of her stuff I make. Haha. I did alter her recipe for tortilla bowls slightly, but not really. This is a fun thing to make, and super easy. It would be great for a taco salad, too, although I didn't do that this time around. I just filled it up with lovely taco fillings. :)

Even though I don't have kiddos yet, I can almost guarantee that they would love this. I mean, what kid WOULDN'T like a bowl made out of a tortilla, that they can eat along with their filling? I mean, really. Haha. I think it's fun, and I am way beyond kid age now. And, it's also fun to have something different sometimes, and a taco bowl is not an everyday occurrence. I served these to my husband, and he looked at me and said, "How do I eat this?" I told him to eat it however he wanted to. And what happened after that was pretty comical. Be prepared to laugh at each other. Haha. So anyway...let's get going on this.

Ingredients:
-Tortillas (As many as you think you need. One per person is probably ok for most, but if you have a big eater, make them two.)
-cooking spray, or liquid veggie oil
-Ground beef, about 1 lb (I used a half lb, but I'm posting directions for a lb)
-1 cup water
-2 teaspoons garlic powder
-2 teaspoons onion powder
-2 teaspoons chili powder
-1.5 teaspoons cumin
-shredded cheese, about 1/4 cup per taco bowl
-shredded lettuce, optional, about 1/4 cup per bowl
-chopped tomatoes, optional, about 1/8 cup per bowl
-sour cream, optional, about 1 teaspoon per bowl

Directions:
First, take the tortillas, and microwave them in damp paper towels for about 3 seconds, so they are pliable. On a lipped baking sheet, place oven safe jars, bowl, ramikins, or whatever you have, upside down. Spray them with cooking spray, or rub them with a light layer of oil. Place the oiled tortillas over the containers on the baking sheet, and press them down slightly to form the bowl shape. Bake them in a 350 degree oven for about 10 minutes, checking every couple minutes to make sure they don't burn. When they get slightly browned and crispy, they're done.

While the tortillas are baking, brown some ground beef in a skillet over medium high heat until no longer pink. Drain. Return to the skillet. Add the water and spices to the beef, and mix it well so the water and spices coat the meat well. Let the meat simmer until the liquid has been absorbed.

When the tortillas are done baking, remove them from the oven, and let them cool slightly on the containers to help them hold their shape. Take the bowls, fill them with the meat, cheese, lettuce (if you want), tomatoes (if you want), sour cream (if you want), and any other toppings you like, and enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I was so looking for a way to make taco bowls!! Thanks for the very easy....and almost common sense....way to make them!! Its almost a 'DUH! why didn't I think of that?' kind of thing!! Now I can't wait to make them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad it was helpful! I can't really take credit, since I got the idea from another blogger, but I'm glad you are going to try!

    ReplyDelete