The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

Chicken and Asparagus Risotto


I know, it sounds fancy, huh? Haha. It's not too bad, really...

Risotto is not the easiest thing in the world to make, I will admit that. But really, all it takes is stirring and timing. And time, I guess. Haha. I got the idea for the recipe from allrecipes.com, but I altered it a bit. I know, shocking. The original recipe uses wine...I have no wine in my house, and don't really care for it, so I didn't use it. I just added more chicken broth. I think my version turned out just fine, and my husband seemed to enjoy it as well, so...I'm good with that. Haha. So away we go.

Ingredients:
-4 cups chicken broth
-3 tablespoon olive oil
-2 chicken breasts, cut into bite size pieeces
-1 cup Arborio rice
-8 oz asparagus, cut (I used a regular sized bunch)
-1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1 teaspoon onion powder
-1/2 cup grated parmesan or similar cheese (I used fontina and asiago)

Directions:
In a saucepan, heat up the chicken broth to boiling, then keep it warm over low heat.
In a skillet, heat one tablespoon over medium high heat. Cook the chopped chicken until cooked through. Set aside.
In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon of olive oil over medium high heat. Pour in the rice, and stir continually. When the rice has turned slightly translucent and has cooked for a few minutes, add about 1/2-3/4 cup of the chicken broth. Add in the cut asparagus. Stir constantly, letting the liquid be absorbed by the rice. It will probably take 5-10 minutes. Keep adding the broth about 1/2-3/4 cups at a time, stirring constantly, letting it be absorbed by the rice each time before adding more. When you have about 1/2-3/4 cup left of the liquid, season the risotto with the Italian seasoning, garlic, and onion powder. Add the last of the liquid, and stir everything together. Add the cheese and chopped chicken. Let the liquid be absorbed while the cheese melts and the chicken gets heated through. When everything is absorbed, melted, and hot, serve and enjoy! Now that wasn't so painful, was it? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment