The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, May 14, 2010

Breakfast for Dinner


Every once in a while, I get a craving for breakfast food. Making a big breakfast, however, is not always an option. Solution: Breakfast for dinner. Oh yeah. I am lucky that my husband doesn't mind the occasional foray into breakfast world at dinner time.

So, the breakfast I made for dinner the other night consisted of scrambled eggs (I won't eat eggs any other way...I know, sad), bacon, hashbrowns, and pancakes. It was so good, too. Oh man. It made me tempted to do it again sooner than I should. Hehe. Anyway...off to breakfast land!

Ingredients:
-Eggs-I made 2 eggs for each of us, but make what you need for who you're feeding
-Bacon-make as many slices as you need, according to package directions
-Pancake mix, like Hungry Jack or something
-Frozen hashbrown potatoes-Once again, make as much as you'll need for who you're serving. I probably made a cup per person. :)
-butter-about 2 tablespoon for eggs, and two tablespoons for hashbrowns
-garlic powder-about 1 teaspoon
-onion powder-about 1/2 teaspoon
-syrup-for pancakes

Directions:
In a skillet, over medium heat, melt two tablespoons of butter. Pour in the hashbrown potatoes. Stir frequently, coating with the butter. When the hasbrowns are about halfway cooked, add in the garlic and onion powders, and stir to combine well. Continue cooking until slightly browned and cooked through.

In another skillet, over medium/medium high heat, melt two tablespoon of butter. In a separate bowl, whisk together the eggs (helpful hint...if you break the yolks before whisking, just by puncturing them, they will combine with the white much more easily). Pour the whisked eggs into the melted butter, and stir occasionally, scrambling the eggs.

In a mixing bowl, mix together the pancake mix and water, or whatever ingredients are specified on the package, according to package directions. In a skillet, or on a griddle, over medium heat, pour the batter, in small amounts, about 1/2 cup at a time. When the edges of the pancake begin to firm up and the "bubbles" in the batter start to leave air pockets, flip the pancake over. Let the other side of the pancake cook for just a minute or so, and remove from the cooking surface.

Cook the bacon according to package directions.

Serve everything together. Butter the pancakes, if desired, and then pour syrup over them. Yum. I can't wait to make breakfast again...I'm salivating as I type this. Go forth and conquer breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment