The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Apple (Cinnamon) Oatmeal Bars


I had to take a dessert to my small group meeting at church tonight, so I was trying to think of something that would appeal to most people, but not be something we've had before. I had this recipe from a lady named Yogi (or at least that's what I know her by), and I've made it before, so I knew it was good. So...I decided to make these apple oatmeal bars. The cinnamon is in parentheses because you don't HAVE to put cinnamon in these to make them good. I just happen to like the cinnamon. :)

Ingredients:
-1 medium apple chopped (I wait until the last minute to chop the apple so the pieces don't turn brown)
-½ c. butter, softened
-½ c. brown sugar
-½ c. granulated sugar
-½ tsp. vanilla extract
-1 egg
-1 c. all purpose flour
-½ tsp. baking powder
-¼ tsp salt
-1-1/2 c quick cooking oats
-1 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)

Directions:
Heat oven to 350F. In a large bowl, cream butter with both sugars. Make sure you REALLY cream it well, or else the bars will fall apart. Add vanilla and egg; blend well. Stir in flour, baking powder, salt, and oats (and cinnamon if desired...I usually mix it with the flour so it gets evenly disbursed); mix well. Chop the apple into small bite size pieces. Stir in apples. Spray a 9x13 baking pan with cooking spray. Pour in the "dough" and smooth it into the pan so it is an even depth throughout. I find that the "dough" is to sticky to do this easily, so I use a sheet of wax paper, lay it on top of the dough, and press the dough into the pan that way, then gently and slowly peel the paper off to leave a nice even pan of dough. Bake about 20 minutes or until edges are light golden brown and the center is firm to the touch. You can also make these into cookies by scooping the "dough" by rounded tablespoons onto a greased cookie sheet. Only bake them for about 12-15 minutes, or until the edges are light golden brown. Either way, these are yummy. And you will eat a bunch of them, just like me...I mean, what? I didn't eat that whole pan by myself...I promise...

No comments:

Post a Comment