The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, March 12, 2010

Chicken and Cream Cheese Enchiladas


This is one of my husband's favorite meals. He requests it quite often. I always know I'm safe when making this meal. Haha. This time, I experimented with a different sauce. I usually use a canned green enchilada sauce, but this time, I made the sauce from scratch. I think it turned out pretty well. :)

Ingredients:
Sauce-
1 lb tomatillos, peeled (the paper skin stuff) and washed, then sliced in half
3 cups chicken broth
2-3 teaspoons garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
1.5 teaspoons cumin
1 tablespoon mild chili powder
1 4oz can diced green chilis


Enchiladas-
Tortillas
Enchilada sauce
1 8oz block of cream cheese
2 cups shredded cheese

Directions:
Sauce:
In a medium sauce pan, place the broth, garlic, onion, tomatillos, cumin, chili powder and green chilies and bring to a boil.

Reduce heat to a simmer and cover, cooking until the tomatillos are soft. Let it cool until about room temperature. At this point, you can refrigerate sauce for later or freeze. When ready to use the sauce, process until smooth in a blender or food processor.

Enchiladas:
Cook the chicken. Cube it or shred it. In a skillet over medium heat, add the chicken and softened cream cheese. Pour just about 2-3 tablespoons of the enchilada sauce in there with it. Let the cream cheese melt, and stir it all together. Pour about 1/2 cup enchilada sauce in the bottom of a casserole/baking dish. This will keep the enchiladas from sticking to the bottom of the dish. Take a tortilla, spoon a little bit of the sauce onto it, and spread it all around the tortilla. Spoon a line of the chicken mixture into the middle. Roll up, and place seam side down in the baking dish. Repeat for all tortillas until the dish is full. Pour more sauce over the top of the pan of enchiladas, until they have all been "covered" in sauce (not drowning in it, but just so they all have some on top/around). Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes until the cheese is melted and everything is hot and bubbly. Serve with chips and salsa, Spanish rice, or whatever other hispanic food side you'd like. Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. YUM! These were so good! I used canned enchilada sauce but I wasn't crazy about it. Next time I'm going to make your sauce. : )

    ~Geoff's

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww, glad you liked them! If I use canned sauce I use Old El Paso brand green enchilada sauce. It tastes pretty good to me, but everyone is different. The sauce I made was similar but did have a different flavor, which was good too. Good luck next time!

    ReplyDelete