The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Red Beans and Rice with Sausage


This is another really simple meal, and it's pretty inexpensive. It's easy to throw it together quickly, so it's great for a busy week night. I don't make it really frequently, but I do make it semi-regularly. I think for my husband, it brings back fond memories from childhood. That makes it a little more fun. :)

Ingredients:
2 cups cooked rice
Smoked Sausage (I use Hillshire Farm)
1 can pinto beans, half drained
Cajun seasoning, to taste (I probably use about 1.5 teaspoons)

Directions:
Brown the sausage in a large skillet, cooking it through. I put them in a single layer in the bottom of the skillet, and then turn them over when it starts to brown. Add the rice and beans (including some of the liquid in the can, but NOT ALL of it), and stir to combine. I think the liquid helps to bind everything together. Add the Cajun seasoning, and mix well. I would start small as far as amount and taste test it and add more if you want. I don't do spicy really well, so I don't use a ton. I would start with a teaspoon and go from there. Make sure it's well incorporated, because you REALLY don't want to get a big clump of Cajun seasoning in one bite, trust me. When everything is heated through and mixed well, serve and enjoy. Told you it was simple. Haha. Hope you enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment