The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, March 21, 2010

Creamed Chipped Beef on Toast


I used to eat this as a kid. My mom really likes it, and I like it, but no one else in my family does. She stopped making it after a while. It's uber simple to make, and I have no idea why I just now thought to try it. I haven't had it in probably close to ten years. And I have no idea where the idea to make it came from. Honestly. Who randomly thinks to make something like this out of the blue after 10 years? Apparently I do. Haha. I told my mom I was making it the other day, and she said to mail her some. :) No one who lives with her will eat it. Haha. Poor mom. This one's for you Ma!

Ingredients:
Dried beef (it usually comes in a jar of some sort)
3 tablespoons Butter
2 tablespoons flour
1-2 cups Milk, half and half, or cream, or a combination of any of them.
Bread for toast

Directions:
In a skillet, over medium heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk together. Let it cook a couple minutes. Add the milk/cream whatever, and whisk together until well combined. Let it cook a bit to start to thicken, stirring frequently. Take however much of the beef you want to use, and rinse it off, then pat dry. It helps take down the saltiness a bit. Then chop it into roughly 1 inch pieces. They don't have to be perfect. Add it to the sauce in the skillet, and stir till it's coated well. Spoon it over toast, or spoon it onto a plate and eat it with toast. See, I told you it was simple. Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. ok, Em, most of your recipes sound good...I have to say just the name of this one grosses me out!! Something about the name "chipped beef" makes my stomach turn...glad you like it, though!

    ReplyDelete