The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Friday, April 30, 2010

Chili Dogs


I don't know why, but my husband craves hot dogs sometimes. I'll ask him what he wants for dinner, and he'll say hot dogs, until I make them. So, for about 2-3 weeks now, he's been asking for hot dogs. I finally acquiesced and gave him what he wanted...chili dogs, with homemade chili. He doesn't like "canned" chili. So...I made chili, and dumped it on some hot dogs. Haha. I have made homemade chili before, but that is more of a meal, and this chili is more of a topping. Putting my meal chili on hot dogs would be disaster. Haha. So I adjusted it. Hooray. Chili dogs are yummy occasionally. So here's the deal.

Ingredients:
-Hot dogs (I got bun-length, all beef dogs)
-Hot dog buns
-Ground beef (I used about 1/2 lb for 4 hot dogs, and had a little left over)
-1 can plain tomato sauce (Use a small can, like 6 oz or so, for 1/2 lb, a normal size can, about 10-12 oz for 1 lb)
-Water, 1/2 cup for 1/2 lb, 1 cup for full lb
-Spices-cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, all to taste. I used about 1 teaspoon cumin, 1.5 teaspoons each of garlic and onion, and about 2 teaspoons chili powder, for 1/2 lb.
-Shredded cheese

Directions:
In a pot, brown the ground beef. Drain. Return to the pot. Add the tomato sauce, water, and spices to the pot. Bring it to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low and simmer for about 15 minutes.

While the chili is simmering, heat up the hot dogs in a skillet. I do this because it browns the hot dog kind of like grilling would, and doesn't just heat it up like boiling or microwaving does. The browning on the outside of the hot dog adds flavor, and I just like it more. Feel free to cook them however you like though. Heat up the buns, either wrapped in paper towels in the microwave for about 30 seconds, or in the oven for a couple minutes. Place the cooked hot dogs in the buns, and then scoop some chili on top, and sprinkle with cheese. Yum. Serve with chips or fruit or whatever. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment