The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Chicken Manicotti


When I make my meal plans, I try to take into account any "leftovers" I have in my pantry or fridge. It saves me money, and keeps me from wasting stuff. So when I made manicotti a couple weeks ago, I only used half the package of noodles, since it's just the two of us. We didn't need all, oh, I don't know, like 14 noodles. Haha. So I used half and saved the rest. As I was making this weeks meal plan, I saw the noodles and tried to think of something different that I could make with them, not just the same old regular manicotti. That's how I came up with chicken manicotti. :) I think it tastes pretty good, too, so that's always a plus. Haha. So here we go.

Ingredients:
Manicotti noodles
Chicken breasts (one breast will probably fill 3-4 noodles), cooked and shredded
2 cups Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1.5 cups tomato pasta sauce
1.5 cups cream sauce/alfredo sauce (I made it from scratch)

Directions:
Boil the noodles until just tender. Drain and set aside. Mix the tomato and cream sauces together in a medium sized bowl. Pour about 1/3 of the sauce into the bottom of a baking dish and spread evenly. This keeps the noodles from drying out and sticking to the bottom of the dish. Reserve about 1/2 cup to 2/3 cup of the mozzarella for later. Stuff the noodles with the chicken and remaining mozzarella. What I do is put a little bit of chicken, then a little cheese, and repeat until the noodle is full. You can also combine the chicken and cheese in a bowl and just stuff the noodle with the mixture. Either way works. :) Place the stuffed noodle into the baking dish. When all the noodles are stuffed and in the baking dish, pour the remaining sauce over the top and spread evenly. Sprinkle the reserved mozzarella over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for about 15-20 minutes, until everything is heated through and the cheese on top is melted. Serve and enjoy. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment