The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, February 14, 2010

Chicken Nachos


I like nachos. It's like...munchies with substance. Haha. You can eat them for a meal but feel like you're snacking or something, which I like. Snacking is one of my favorite past times.

I also like nachos with more of a cheese sauce than just melted cheese. To me it's just yummier. I'm a fan. So that's how I make my nachos. Adding meat to them makes it more "mealworthy" too, so I try to do that too. In this case...I used monterrry jack cheese and chicken. Mmm.

Ingredients:
-Tortilla chips
-a block of monterrey jack cheese (for the two of us, this was plenty...if you're feeding a bunch, get a couple blocks), shredded/grated
-2 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1/2 cup heavy cream
-1 cup milk
-chicken breast (one was enough for two servings for us, so I would say 1 breast per 2 people), shredded

Directions:
Cook the chicken breast, then shred it with two forks. Set aside. In a sauce pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk together. Add the milk and cream, and let it heat up, stirring frequently. Reserve a little bit of the grated cheese to sprinkle on top (about 1/2 cup for two servings), and add the rest of the cheese to the sauce. Let it melt in, stirring frequently. Reduce heat to low and let it thicken up, stirring frequently. Pour the tortilla chips onto a plate. Put a layer of the chicken over the chips, then spoon some of the hot cheese sauce over the top. Sprinkle a little bit of the reserved cheese on top and serve. Gooey, cheesy, munchy nachos. Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment