The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Hamburgers and Fries


Every once in a while, I get a craving for a burger. I don't know why, but I do. Going out and getting one at a fast food place is an option, but...making my own somehow seems better sometimes. I know, I'm nuts. Haha. I also thought I'd try to make some homemade fries too. I mean, a hamburger without fries just...isn't right. Haha. I think they turned out well. Away we go.

Ingredients:
Ground beef (enough to feed everyone-about 1/4-1/3 lb per person)
Garlic and onion powder
Hamburger buns
Condiments-ketchup, mustard, mayo, etc
"Fixin's"-cheese, lettuce, tomato, etc
Large baking potatoes for fries-1 to 2 people per potato

Directions:
Wash and peel the potatoes. Cut them into thin slices, about 1/4 inch, then cut the slices into thin strips to make a typical "fry" shape and size. Soak them in water so they won't turn brown while you're preparing to cook them. There are two methods to use from here. You can completely bake them in the oven with a little bit of cooking spray, or you can cook them halfway in boiling water, then bake them the rest of the way. I boiled then baked, because it goes a little bit faster. If you only bake them, spray a foil-lined baking pan with cooking spray, and place the uncooked "fries" in a single layer on the baking pan. Bake 20 minutes at 475 degrees, then flip the fries and cook another 10-20 minutes, until the fries are cooked through and starting to brown. If you boil them first, boil the water, add the fries, and cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the potatoes are about half cooked. Drain them, and dry them as well as possible, then spread them out on a foil-lined, cooking sprayed baking pan. Cook for about 10 minutes on each side, until they are completely cooked and starting to brown. Salt lightly when you take them out of the oven.

Mix together the beef and garlic and onion, about 2 teaspoons each per pound of meat. Form the beef into patties. Cook in a skillet or grill until desired doneness. I like my burgers pretty well done. The last minute or so, if you want cheese, put the slice on and let it melt just slightly. Mmm. Toast the buns in the oven for just a minute at 350 so they're warm. Place the cooked patty on the bun, and dress it with desired condiments and fixin's. My burgers only get to have ketchup and cheese.

Serve it up with the fries, and eat. Yum. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment