The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mac and cheese


So I will be honest and say that this was an experiment. I think I will make improvements next time, but it was still pretty good.

I like my mac and cheese to be creamier than not. So the traditional homemade mac and cheeses that are basically just pasta with cheese melted over them aren't my cup of tea. I also don't mind velveeta, but it's...not that great for you, so I was trying to use just "natural" ingredients if I could help it. So this was a good first attempt. Next time I make it, I will post my improvements. Away we go...

Ingredients:
-Pasta (a short, curvy, or hollow noodle works best-elbow macaroni, penne, rotini, etc)
-2 cups cheddar cheese, grated
-2 cups colby jack cheese, grated
-2 cups heavy cream
-1 cup milk
-1/4 cup butter
-1/4 cup flour
-1 cup cheese, grated, to top the dish

Directions:
Boil a pot of water, and cook the pasta until just tender. While the pasta cooks, in a medium pot, over medium heat, melt the butter. Whisk in the flour to make a roux. Add in the milk and cream, and let it get heated through, stirring frequently. Add in the cheese and let it melt, stirring frequently, but don't let it boil. When the cheese is well incorporated, reduce heat to low and let it thicken, stirring frequently. When the pasta is done, drain it, then mix it with the cheese sauce and pour it into a baking dish. Top with shredded cheese and bake in a 350 degree oven for 15-20 minutes or until hot and bubbly.

Mine ended up being slightly gritty, and I think it's because I let the sauce get too hot. I got distracted. Haha. I hope yours turns out well. :)

1 comment:

  1. I tried to make less gritty like you had mentioned, so i used 1 cup heavy cream and 2 cups milk. I think it helped a bit but it was still gritty as it cooled.

    ReplyDelete