The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Thursday, April 15, 2010

Honey Hoisin Chicken and Rice Pilaf


My trusty food blog inspiration Mel, from Mel's Kitchen Cafe, had a similar recipe on her blog. She did honey hoisin pork ribs, and I'm doing chicken, but I'm using her idea/recipe with a few minor adaptations. I am also using her rice pilaf recipe (on the same blog post as the ribs). I'm so glad she makes food I can eat with my pickiness. Haha. But really, this turned out really well, and since it was my first time making it, I wasn't sure it would. My husband told me he really liked "the flavor" of the chicken, which means it tasted good. Haha. We had some canned fruit to round things out a bit. ;) Anyway...off we go into the wilderness of foods I've never made before. Woohoo!

Ingredients:
Rice Pilaf-
-1 tablespoon canola oil
-1 cup angel hair pasta, broken into 1/2-inch pieces (I actually used linguine, and it still turned out great)
-1 cup rice
-2 cups chicken broth
-Seasonings to taste (I used garlic and onion powder)

Honey Hoisin Chicken-
-Chicken breasts
-1/3 cup honey
-1/4 cup soy sauce
-1 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/3 cup hoisin sauce
-1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
-1/4 cup distilled white vinegar (or rice vinegar, which is what I used)

Directions:
Brown rice and angel hair pasta in the oil over medium-high heat.

Cook until spaghetti is lightly browned. Add chicken stock and seasonings and bring to a boil.

Lower heat and simmer for 20 minutes (Mine didn't take quite 20, but close to it). Stir it around a bit to lighten it up,

and then serve.


Honey Hoisin Chicken-
Boil the chicken breasts until just done. DO NOT OVERCOOK!!! Cut the chicken into large bite size pieces. In a separate bowl, mix the other ingredients to make a marinade. Coat the chicken pieces with the marinade, and let it marinate in the fridge for at least an hour. After that hour, spread the chicken in a single layer on a baking pan lined with foil.

Broil in the oven for about 3 minutes. Baste the chicken with more marinade, and turning them around in the pan slightly. You want them to be coasted and getting brown and carmelized on all sides. See how the liquid on the foil is getting dark? You want that to a lesser degree on the chicken.

Once the chicken is well glazed, remove the chicken pieces from the pan, discarding the excess marinade. Serve it immediately.

Yum. Serve everything together for a delightfully different meal. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment