The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Sausage Skillet Meal


Ok, so sorry for the delay in posts. I have not been feeling too great, so things are taking a little longer than normal. Anywho...

I had some smoked sausage I needed to use up. I was tired of all my "usual" sausage recipes, so I went prowling around for new ideas. I was given this suggestion by an acquaintance, and I took it. I'll try a new recipe that has no nasty ingredients at least once any time. :) Hehe. I pretty much followed the recipe (from Kraft), but I'll post it here anyway (as always, very slight alterations). This is super easy and pretty quick, good for a busy weeknight. Aaaaand...here we go.

Ingredients:
-1/2 lb. smoked sausage, sliced (I used Hillshire Farms Beef Smoked Sausage, and used more than 1/2 lb)
-1 can (14-1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes, undrained (I used slightly less)
-1-1/2 cups water
-1 tsp. Italian seasoning
-1 pkg. (12 oz.) VELVEETA Shells & Cheese Dinner
-2 cups broccoli florets

Directions:
Brown the sausage in a large skillet on medium-high heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. I used the biggest skillet I had, and it was helpful to have the space.

Stir in the tomatoes, water and Italian seasoning. Bring the mixture to a boil. Add the pasta shells and cover the skillet. Simmer for about 7 minutes, stirring occasionally. The pasta will not be quite cooked. That's ok.

At this point, add the broccoli; cook it about 5 minutes or until crisp-tender. Stir in the cheese sauce until well mixed. Serve hot for best results. :) Hope you like it!

2 comments:

  1. My mom has a version of this that uses Italian sausage, summer squash, and rotini instead of the shells/cheese. It's a really nice light dinner! I think I might try your version, though...sounds good!

    ReplyDelete