The culinary ramblings of a picky eater.

Sunday, April 18, 2010

Spinach Alfredo Pasta


So, if I take something healthy, like spinach, and add it to something not so healthy, like alfredo sauce, it makes it ok, right? Ok, good. Hehe.

But seriously. I know I have a weakness for all things cheesy, creamy, and buttery, so I try to at least add something to them, occasionally, to make them slightly better for me. And by better for me, I mean I'm ingesting something good along with the bad. Haha. Everything in moderation is my motto. I can have a little of all the yumminess as long as I don't gorge myself. Except I do occasionally gorge myself. Ok, nevermind. Just ignore me. ;)

I do make alfredo a good bit, so I was wanting something just slightly different. Hence the spinach addition. I think it turned out well, as did my husband, whose comment of, "Do you have any more of this?" When he finished off his bowl was validation that it was indeed tasty. I hope you enjoy it too!

Ingredients:
-Pasta (I used spaghetti)
-3 tablespoons butter
-2 tablespoons flour
-1.5 cups cream
-3/4-1 full cup parmesan cheese, shredded
-1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
-1/4 cup cooked spinach (I used frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained)

Directions:
In a large pot, boil some water. Cook the pasta until al dente. Drain.

In a sauce pan over medium low heat, melt the butter. Add the flour and whisk until well combined. Let it cook another 5 or so minutes, stirring frequently. Add the cream, and whisk until the flour mixture is well incorporated into the cream. Let the sauce cook for a few minutes, stirring frequently, almost constantly, until the sauce has thickened a little bit. Add the paremsan cheese, and let it melt into the sauce, stirring frequently, until the sauce is smooth. Let it cook a few more minutes, stirring frequently, until it has thickened just a little bit more. Add the garlic powder, and stir to combine. At the last minute, when the sauce is ready, and the pasta is ready, add the spinach and stir to evenly distribute it into the sauce. Pour the sauce over the pasta and serve immediately. Yumtastic.

You know you want this.

No comments:

Post a Comment